Thursday, March 24, 2016

Which Coding Languages should I learn?

I read a couple of articles this morning,

1. I’m gonna puke if you compare Angular to React again; here's why!
2. Which Tech Should You Learn Now?

From the tone of these two articles it seems that JavaScript isn't going anywhere any time soon.  Another thing that I picked up from the second article is that developers with AngularJS or ReactJS experience/knowledge, on average, earn more money.  The second article also says that you should learn React (and Node) first because it is becoming more and more popular, in other words if you have the choice learn React (and Node) first then learn Angular, the article bases this on statistics given by Stack Overflow's Developer Survey and last year's JavaScript Scene Survey.

So, given that information, I am going to take it and mix it into my list.

Recall my list:
  • AngularJS
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • Java
  • C#/VB/.NET (better working knowledge)
  • JavaScript (better working knowledge)
  • Other JavaScript frameworks
  • BootStrap
  • CSS3
  • HTML5
  • BASIC
  • ALGOL
  • KTurtle
  • Programming Logic
  • Programming Design
  • BootStrap
  • CSS3
  • HTML5

I don't want to get too burned out on JavaScript Learning, so I am going to season my list with JavaScript and move some things around, maybe see if I can confuse myself between using semi-colons and not using semi-colons.

  • AngularJS
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • ReactJS
  • NodeJS
  • Java
  • KTurtle
  • F#
  • BASIC
  • Scala
  • ALGOL
then I could mix in some intermediate/advanced learning of all the stuff that I already know

  • HTML5
  • CSS3
  • BootStrap
  • C#
  • VB
  • VBA 
  • JavaScript
Season these lists with Logic and Design reading as well, also various programmer's blogs as well.

Am I missing anything?  

Should I change the order of my list for some reason?

Please feel free to comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to point out that Javascript Frameworks such as: Node, Angular, React are not languages. The language is Javascript. If your intent is to learn a language learn Javascript. I would also recommend learning a language before learning a framework.

    My whole point about this is that you should separate frameworks from languages. Languages tend to be a much more consistent thing than frameworks. New and better frameworks appear all the time, while the language mostly remains the same.

    Therefore I would strongly advise you to keep not one, but two lists. One for languages, other for frameworks. I wouldn't bother to learn Algol and Basic, at least not before learning all others you mentioned. But if you are into those just go ahead.

    ReplyDelete