Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Which Coding Languages are the most beneficial to learn, for me?

I started thinking today about what I wanted to accomplish in the week, month, year...

Someone I know through CodeReview once said in a blog of his that you shouldn't try to eat an entire elephant without cutting it into pieces, so what I have decided is that I should pick some things that I want to accomplish and then give my self some short term goals, kind of a top down approach for the planning phase.

I think that the first thing that needs to happen is that I need to find out what languages are the ones that are going to further my love and enjoyment of programming as well as give me a future in the field of web and application development.

The list I have so far in my head

I already have a working knowledge of
  • C#
  • JavaScript
  • VB
  • .NET
  • OOP
I am thinking that I might want to learn some procedural programming as well maybe
I would also like to learn LOGO (KTurtle)a bit better, I have played with it off and on since I was a child and would love to be able to teach some new youngsters how to code in it as well.

This is a good start I think, I can now take these and order them by degree of some random value to myself or to furthering my career or ... whatever value.
  1. AngularJS
  2. Ruby
  3. Python
  4. Java
  5. C#/VB/.NET (better working knowledge)
  6. JavaScript (better working knowledge)
  7. Other JavaScript frameworks
Now I have a rough game plan of what I want to do for the year, what goals I might want to achieve and what goals I might want to table until a later date.  I can break these down into pieces or sections of learning like someone would do for a college degree or something like that.

One thing that I need to keep in mind is that I need to be able to pull from knowledge different designs for creating smaller pieces that make the entire application function the way that I want it to function and to make it efficient, I would definitely be on the look out for programming logic and design principles, I might even create a web search that I could do at least once a week to find articles about different techniques for creating the most efficient applications or sub procedures or whatever.

I am going to add into this list with things like

  • Programming Logic
  • Programming Design
I would also add things to the list like
  • BootStrap
  • CSS3
  • HTML5
Just because I want to keep up on these technologies and to make sure that I am using them appropriately and not acquiring bad habits.  I am sure that I don't know everything about these things.

I think this is where I am going to leave this (for now) and come back to it another day, the more I start thinking of things I want to be incorporated in this list of goals the farther down the rabbit hole I go.

so far this is the list that I have of things that I want to learn/keep learning:

  • AngularJS
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • Java
  • C#/VB/.NET (better working knowledge)
  • JavaScript (better working knowledge)
  • Other JavaScript frameworks
  • BootStrap
  • CSS3
  • HTML5
  • BASIC
  • ALGOL
  • KTurtle
  • Programming Logic
  • Programming Design
  • BootStrap
  • CSS3
  • HTML5
So, what do I do with this list now?


No comments:

Post a Comment