Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Git

I have learned more Git in the last 2 weeks than I have over the entire course of the time that I have had a GitHub account (@Malachi26), so I am really getting a feel for branching, pushing, pulling, merging, and all the other stuff.  I really like the way that I am able to collaborate.   

The big thing that I like about using Git though, is the way I can "save" my progress at different places in the process of coding something.  I have only had to revert back to the end of the day previous.  

When I shut down for the day I went to close Visual Studios and it asked me to save the solution, and I selected no and the next day I was missing my .sln and one of my .csproj files, so I could not open the solution. 

First I just tried to pull down the .sln file and that's when I found out that I didn't have the .csproj file either, so I went back to the repo and pulled the .csproj I needed from the last commit.  

I love working with Git and think that it is going to be very handy, I think that it is going to give me more freedom and free up some space on all my machines.  I used to have a folder for everything, now I have a master branch and a development branch at the least. 

I just need to remember what I did for the next time, or at least what commands I need to Google.  I am sure it won't be the last time that I make a mistake, but that is what Git is best at, forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment