Friday, September 26, 2014

Logo Coding With KTurtle

I took a free laptop and installed EdUbuntu so that my daughter could have her very first computer, kids are so spoiled these days.

To my amazement I found something that reminded me of my first programming experience with Logo about 20 years ago, a program called KTurtle.

KTurtle uses the same commands as Logo (as much as I can remember), they are very similar at the least, so I took it on myself to relearn the language so that I could teach my daughter to code and hopefully learn more in her school years about programming that I had during mine.

Well over 3 months ago is when I created a short script to create a Tic-Tac-Toe bourd 4 times on a single canvas.  My code is rather sketchy to say the least, it is a different type of Coding than I am used to, but the more I coded in it the more I wanted from it because I have become accustomed to the ways of C# and the various shortcuts that come with it.

Logo will really force you to come down a couple of levels with your coding, you have to create a lot of things that you take for granted with languages like C#, VB and Java.

As bad as my code was, there was another reviewer on Code Review that was also willing to learn KTurtle to help me out with my coding skills so that I could teach my little girl, we both learned some things along the way as well like save before trying to run, especially on Windows... ugh!
KTurtle likes Linux much more than it likes Windows.



I am sure that I will be back in there writing more code sometime this fall and/or winter.
What I would like to finally accomplish is a Turtle that will play the game with you as many times as you like and then eventually  move on to other games that I can code with the Tiny Turtle, and hopefully pass my passion for coding to my Children while I do this.



Check out my Question about Tic-Tac-Toe boards and learning KTurtle(Logo)

Is my code nice and neat for a Tic-Tac-Toe board times 4?

And make sure to upvote the wonderful answers that I received as well!

Follow me on CodeReview:  Malachi

For those of you who don't know what Logo is, check out their website @ http://el.media.mit.edu/logo-foundation/index.html

Also check out KTurtle  @


If you do some searching you can get KDE for Windows which will allow you to run KTurtle on your Windows machine, Just remember that it is ornery especially on Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment